Rigid E Series 40 Inch LED Light Bar This Rigid E-Series 40 inch LED light bar review is about one of their more popular long lights that fits perfectly across a full-size truck windshield, roll bar or roof rack. Just the size alone with its double row design and 80 powerful LEDs is enough to earn respect even before you throw the switch. The jaw-dropping amount of light it produces, however, is what sets people back on their heels.
Whether you get the flood, spot or combo beam version, this light will perform without compromise. Rigid uses only top-quality LEDs with a lifespan of over 50,000 hours. To put that in perspective, that is over 10 years running the light 12 hours a day every day.
Rigid’s electronic design extracts the maximum number of lumens from each lamp using the least possible power. Multiple LED drivers maintain optimum current and voltage control in every light bar, which increases efficiency and durability.
Their attention to electronic superiority would be wasted were they not to encase it within a rugged case. The 40 inch light bar has the same 6063 extruded aluminum housing as in all the E-Series lights. Large, super-efficient heat sink fins are built right into the case for cool running. Custom seals, finely machined surfaces and stainless screws at every other LED column reject moisture, ice, mud and dust to achieve an industry-leading IP68 certification.
Yes, there is more. After ensuring maximum LED light output, Rigid’s Hybrid optics system comes into play. A combination of computer-designed reflectors and lenses directs 97 percent of each LED’s output directly in front of your vehicle without voids and without hotspots. The outer lens is made of virtually unbreakable, scratch-resistant Lexan. If you want proof on how tough it is, watch this: https://youtu.be/EXMzkh-NzJk?t=2m23s
Leave it to Rigid, who designs, engineers and assembles these light bars in the U.S.A. to create the most durable, efficient and brightest 40 inch light bar possible.
Here are some of the Rigid’s E-Series 40 inch LED light bar characteristics that set it apart:
- 5W pure white LEDs rated to last 50,000 hours
- Light output in raw lumens is 18400
- Instant on and off without warm-up
- Patented Hybrid optics capture nearly 100 percent of light output
- Polycarbonate lens that neutralizes extreme industrial or trail conditions
- Quality LED drivers for cool and bright LEDs
- Independent LED boards for failsafe operation
- Hefty extruded aluminum housing to minimize vibration
- GORE™ pressure equalization to account for elevation changes
- Highest-quality, sure-fit neoprene seals, 44 stainless screws and Deutsch wiring connector for a solid IP68 rating
- Each light bar kit includes multi-position mounting brackets, wiring harness, lighted switch, heavy-duty relay and waterproof cable connector.
Specs for all beam configurations:
|Length||43 inches nominal|
|Beams||Spot, Flood, Combo|
|Voltage||9 to 36VDC|
Beam type specs:
|Beam Type||Beam width||Lux at 10m||1 Lux distance||Beam distance||Peak Intensity cd|
Combo configuration is also available with amber LEDs.
Pros and Cons
- Beam depth for spot version is over a mile
- No beam bounce due to shock-absorbing mounts
- Rugged mechanical and electrical build
- Hybrid reflector/lens optics for a tight beam pattern
- Cool to the touch, oversized heat sinks for long LED life
- IP68 wiring harness and durable mounting hardware
- Flood with amber LEDs option would be nice for foggy or misty conditions
What Buyers Are Saying
It is 5 stars all the way with this light bar. Any 40 inch LED light bar review that does not do a comparison to this Rigid product is ducking the fact that no other manufacturer has a product in this size at this price that can stand up to it. “Turns night into day” is a common refrain from new owners.
Although the spot beam reaches well over 1600m, the combo is not far behind at 1300m. Unless you specifically need only a spot function, then the combo’s additional side flood capability is likely worth having. A flood version of this light will chase away any darkness around a construction site, accident scene or even a pick-up baseball game.
Simply put, this is one of the best light bars that is not going to disappoint. Its night-shattering brightness makes it the only light you are likely to need on the trail, on the road or at the work site. It stands up to outright tortuous conditions from weather or inadvertent abuse and keeps on shining.